On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:36 AM, <shadow@shadowgard.com> wrote:
On 10 Apr 2014 at 19:15, Kelly St. Clair wrote:

> On 4/10/2014 5:47 PM, shadow@shadowgard.com wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I have multiple IDs for a *reason* and tying them to my
> > cell phone is *not* in any way an increase in *my* security.
>
> Multiple identities?  Why, that's no different from maintaining multiple
> aliases!  No one should need more than ONE, fully public identity (which
> we can then profile and advertise to)... unless you have something to
> /hide/, Mr. Anderson?

*Everyone* has stuff that they have every right to keep private.

Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean that there aren't
lots of folks who will cheerfully use it against you. Which is *why*
there's a right to privacy.

Okay.

No problem.

But that's rather beside the point. Since you can still apparently use gmail anonymously, if you *only* use your account to access this list, what does it matter if they mine the data associated with the anonymous account? I admit that when I first got *my* gmail account, I occasionally clicked on a sidebar pop up. But nowadays I don't even consciously see these any longer (unless my attention is directed to them for some other reason, such as participating in this discussion.)

Now, I *can* understand not patronizing a company out of principle. Personally, I avoid both Exxon and BP stations whenever there is another alternative. But I don't let myself run out of gas to do so.

It just seems like this is a case of someone allowing themselves to "run out of gas" (fail to get list emails) in order to keep what is essentially a single-purpose alias out of the hands of a greedy ECM. And you aren't even paying gmail anything for their "gas."

Obtrav. Worlds where it may be legal to do X, but the consequences of
being *known* as an Xer are horrible. Especially since it *isn't*
illegal to discrimate against you for it.

Obtrav: The tramp merchant with the best deal on a jump ticket at this port is a bit on the creepy side. He wants a complete copy of your ID before he'll sell you a ticket. Do you give him your *actual* TL-12 Imperial ID*** or the TL-5 false identity you just bought in the local startown from Cr50? He has no way to know which one is your real ID, after all.

***IMTU, only relatively rare Imperial Citizens (30-year retirees, Imperial nobles, senior megacorp officials, etc) actually have Imperial IDs.

--
Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester