Dear Folks –

Ian wrote:

>Bruce,

>The grav bike and the skateboard are here.

>http://www.bitsuk.net/Archive/archive_background/files/Spofulam.pdf

So’s the orbital pogo stick. Inspired by Ross Coburn, cobbled together by the feverish nightmares of Roderick Darroch Elliot.

>Both use TAKAFP.

Sorry, don’t know how to parse that acronym. (Is it a Ditzie thing?  ;-)

“Some say he’s just a robot, animated by Yaskoydray, and that he once rode a grav-powered pogo stick from Terra to Luna. All we know is, he’s called THE STIG!”

(Sorry, just channelling a little too much Geremi K’Larksin there…)

David "Hyphen" Jaques-Watson ..at.. Beowulf Down (Tavonni/Vilis/SM 1520)
http://www.tip.net.au/~davidjw                    davidjw@pcug.org.au
"I file things in historical order, with a hashing algorithm of gravity"

Re: [TML] TL 15 Sport Cars, 4wd Offroaders. by Ian Whitchurch (24 Apr 2014 22:31 UTC)
Reply to list

Bruce,

The grav bike and the skateboard are here.

http://www.bitsuk.net/Archive/archive_background/files/Spofulam.pdf

Both use TAKAFP.

The Jet Bike didnt use grav plates at all, just Ditzie's Favorite Gloop (tech 6 nitrogen tetroxide and hydrazine rocket).

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Bruce Johnson <johnson@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

On Apr 23, 2014, at 11:25 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great ideas. I was thinking that people would still want to travel and impress their friends with a great sports car. Also where are the smells and the wind? The sense of freedom?

For that, I expect they’ll just have finely crafted TL-15 replicas of TL-7 Ferraris , or like that spoilt kid James T Kirk, just wreck an irreplaceable, one of a kind, 2000 year old Corvette :-)

I expect Morgan will STILL be making cars with wooden frames.

Or just TL-15 grav cars with convertible tops and flashy paint jobs. So long as there are machines that go fast and humans with testosterone poisoning, there will be gofastdieyoung vehicles.

Search the archives for Famille Spofulam designs, like the suborbital pogostick, the supersonic grav bike and a 4 or 500KPH skateboard. At some point in time there was an online collection of all the Famille oeuvre. Ian?

Simulating off road behavior or high speeds, when you’re not actually doing that will lead to some serious disconnects between reality and what the driver is experiencing.

There was a top gear episode where the boys played a driving sim game on a particular track with particular cars, then set out to show how good they were on the real thing after all that simulator training :-) They were right and properly humiliated…

Simulating the sensations via ‘grave' plates :-) will have a similar effect I expect, in that the actual vehicle will not be behaving in the fashion their senses tell them it is.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to listmom@travellercentral.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=Qjs81DnfPhuRQ7Rw3I0XVltos3d36yjy

-----
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=5QA55z9BZmg42kf14UVhcv8g7WGKhYje