On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Evyn MacDude <evyn.macdude@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Richard Aiken <raikenclw@gmail.com> wrote:

> But the Wild Die is really (in my opinion) a way to compensate for the game
> system having only the very broadest of stat lists - e.g. "Shooting" covers
> every ranged weapon from bows to plasma cannon/missiles, "Fighting" covers
> every melee from fists/feet to rapiers and polearms, "Driving" covers
> controlling anything with ground vehicle from a wagon to a tank, etc - as
> well as relatively few points available to buy high levels in them during
> chargen.

This where Edges add a lot of flavor to a game. Next to Travellers
2d6, Savage Worlds is my favorite rules set.

The Professional Edges in particular fill in capability which should logically be there for actual professionals. These usually give a +2 roll bonus to two Skills central to the particular profession. This is the equivalent to an extra die level, yet avoids lowering the chance to Ace, as would an actual higher die type. GMs are encouraged to create unique Professional Edges tailored for their campaigns/games. But I haven't felt the need to do this, as the basic Edges seem to cover Traveller just fine (they even already have a Jack of all Trades Edge).

I *have* tailored the system somewhat, of course. My biggest alteration was changing Psionics (the only Arcane Background Edge possible in a basic Traveller setting) into an Attribute (although starting at a default of d4-2 rather than the usual d4).. I also added two Hindrances of my own creation: Flatlander (someone with zero experience of space/ships, meaning they can't fill a crew position until they buy it off with earned Advances) and Mindblind (imposition of Psionics d0 - due to genetics and/or lack of training as a youngster - with several related effects). Oh! And my "blasters" (yeah, Star Wars not Traveller, but I like them better than lasers . . .) inflict explosive damage, rather than just regular bullet damage.

Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester