On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Andrew Long <andrew.long@mac.com> wrote:
On 5 Sep 2014, at 01:46, Peter Berghold wrote:

> .... you are a retired Marine Colonel.  You own a very large company and have thousands of employees.
>
> I've described the Colonel's office as being spacious but Spartan and very simplistically decorated.   Besides a desk, chair and plaque given to him by the last battalion he commanded, what sorts of things would you expect to see in his office?

I'd have expected a former field-grade officer to have a large 'me' wall... pictures of himself with every important (other) person he's ever met. The absence of such a wall says quite a lot about the officer in question. Are you sure this is an accurate picture of the head of a (presumably) large military contractor?

I would say that a minimalist "me wall" says that the Head Honcho is also the founder/owner of the company in question, rather than a (highly paid) hireling. There isn't anyone he needs to impress to keep his job, nor does he need to impress most clients/supplicants. Everybody he allows into this room already knows his reputationa and accomplishments, either from personal/prior knowledge or well-applied Google Fu (or the Far Future equivalent).

And if they don't, then he doesn't need their services, after all. He's not in the habit of hiring idiots.

--
Richard Aiken

"Never insult anyone by accident."  Robert A. Heinlein
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby
"We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous." Dean Winchester