On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Richard Aiken <raikenclw@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM, J. Michael Looney <mlooney@megawatts.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> . . . Of course a TL 12 damper
>> built at TL15 is 60% the size (but 200% the cost) . . .
>
> That's just weird.
>
> I mean, I could understand if this were a one-off copy of an obsolescent
> item. But a factory [or more likely a 3D printer] built with TL 15
> technology expressly designed to produce TL 12 dampers (because these could
> be built smaller at that TL, in order to fit into smaller hulls) should also
> be able to build them cheaper.

Want weird?  The rules for spinal weapons work the way you expect.   In MgT, computers and spinal weapons get cheaper if made at a higher tech level that the design is for.  Every thing else goes up in price.

That's totally true, the make high tech version of things rules in Central Supply Catalog have a chart that allows for cheaper versions of things, based on what all you are doing to it.  But every thing else, cost is either flat or goes up with tech level.  It's sort of funny, the vehicle books talk about some classes of vehicle going away with "cheap grav vehicles replacing them". Grav vehicles are never cheap...