I made things a little easier as TL increases.  Open outer doors to scoop. Work like slaves to pack full. Close outer doors. Process. Repeat. 8 - 10 times in a 24 hr day. Takes 50 - 200 loads to refuel depending on how much I want them to suffer... I mean the quality of the ice.
Later a mosquito rig sinks a shaft into a large enough iceteroid. Pumps in relatively hi temp fuel sucks out melt. Repeat. Refuel in a day or two easy easy.

-------- Original message --------
From: Ian Whitchurch
Date:12/07/2014 2:37 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: tml@simplelists.com
Subject: Re: [TML] Fueling from an icy asteroid or rock?

Oh, if you're feeling either nice or nasty to them, does any megacorp own the mineral rights to that asteroid ? Could the work they have done be considered an illegal survey ?

Could they have actually found some valuable impurities ?

Also, Our Heroes will almost certainly want to use any laser rifles etc they have as melting tools. Let them :)

They might also think of rigging up a polymer/aluminium foil bladder to contain the heated/melted ice on the outside of the ship ...

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Bill Rutherford <worj@comcast.net> wrote:
All,

++Good!  You've all given me enough ideas about this to look forward to an evening of my players trying to melt stuff in the cargo hold, draw off impurities and try not to get the ship clogged on mud; hmm - if any of the impurities are (e.g. methane?) flammable that'll make it even more entertaining... ;-)

Thanks!

<SNIP>

Bill Rutherford
worj@comcast.net
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to listmom@travellercentral.com

-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to listmom@travellercentral.com
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=u04IjhfiZ2F5ML3fPcArPqGjYhQS2p72