Regrettably, if you follow this line of thinking, there is no asteroid mining, ever, because it is actually tectonic and biological processes.that concentrate minerals to payable quantities and so on.
As asteroid mining is both cool and part of canon, mumble mumble science handwave handwave. mumble mumble.

Fortunately, collisions among some of the larger asteroids have shattered a few of them and exposed core materials in various stages of differentiation. Nickel-iron meteorites can be inspected in your friendly local geology museum and are not handwavium at all.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Bill Rutherford <worj@comcast.net> wrote:
Flammable and toxic - a good combination to have aboard ship... ;-)

Leonard et al,

Seriously, to all who've replied, this is one of the GREAT things about the TML - the body of Traveller players who *think* about this stuff and take the time to reply.

I tend to lurk (in my old age I'm finally learning not to talk when I really have nothing to add) but I read just about everything posted here and it's all useful in one manner or another...

Thanks!

- Bill Rutherford

At 11:01 PM 12/7/2014, you wrote:
On 7 Dec 2014 at 1:30, Bill Rutherford wrote:

> All,
>
> ++Good!  You've all given me enough ideas about this to look forward
> to an evening of my players trying to melt stuff in the cargo hold,
> draw off impurities and try not to get the ship clogged on mud; hmm -
> if any of the impurities are (e.g. methane?) flammable that'll make
> it even more entertaining... ;-)

Ammonia is both flammable (nthough it's not easy easy to ignite as
methane) and *toxic*.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com

-----
To unsubscribe from this list please goto
http://archives.simplelists.com

Bill Rutherford
worj@comcast.net
-----