And what system did you use to figure out your location on the map? Space combat in deep space generally resembles people shooting one another with rifles on a perfectly flat surface with no cover. Near a planet or asteroid, imagine there’s a big rock in the middle of the field, and typically one person’s goal is either to reach the rock or to run away from the rock, while the other person’s goal is to prevent them from doing so. This actually *over* estimates relative mobility, you can cross the effective range of a rifle in a few minutes, whereas it can easily take an hour or more with Traveller ship to ship weapons.

This is potentially nerve-wracking, but it’s not tactically interesting.

From: tml-manager@simplelists.com [mailto:tml-manager@simplelists.com] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 11:43 AM
To: tml
Subject: Re: [TML] Squadron Strike: Traveller previews

I dunno, the space combat I've run in the current T5 game has been a lot of fun for the players.

Of course, that's RP-level play, so...

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Anthony Jackson <ajackson@iii.com> wrote:

The fundamental problem with space combat (in Traveller, or elsewhere) is that space is typically a ridiculously boring tactical environment, and adding vector movement doesn’t make it more interesting, it just makes it more difficult to implement on a non-electronic map.