On 13 Aug 2016 1:43 am, "David Jaques-Watson" <xxxxxx@pcug.org.au> wrote:

> Dear Folks –
>

> Rodney was after rules for low-tech ships etc. Try this:
>
> GANNON, Charles E. 1992, “Wood and Wind, Steel and Steam”, _Challenge 61_, GDW, Bloomington, IL, USA, p 26.
>

> For weaponry:
>

> GANNON, Charles E. 1991, “When It's Lances, Not Lasers”, _Challenge 49_, GDW, Bloomington, IL, USA, p 44.
>

> And either use the MT weapons, or:
>

> CHADWICK, Frank 1982, “Archaic Missile Weapons”, _JTAS 11_, GDW, Bloomington, IL, USA, p 44.
>

> FWIW, I also have these in my Weapons Tables, under the Repair Bays at Beowulf Down. Plus alien weapons, which may be helpful if you’re including other races.

And if it helps, that reminds me that I came up with char gen for age of sail matelots:
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/rules/chargen/rttwetnavy.htm
(Mongoose 1st edition)

http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/rules/chargen/ctwetnavy.html
(Classic)

I've not looked at those in a while, and if I'm allowed to say so, I feel as if I surpassed myself for once.  Of course, I'll only really be pleased if I heard someone had actually used them!

(I should credit Jeff Z with running the competition that inspired me to sit down and channel years of living next door to HMS Victory (Nelson's flagship st Trafalgar), reading Hornblower and Master & Commander, and being the son of a naval officer who worked his way up from 'below the decks' and ran in the Royal Tournament with the field gun crews[1].)

Don't forget, as I said, that Worlds Apart (Expeditious Retreat Press, 2013) specifically covers Age of Sail ship design - using the standard Traveller format which I thought was nifty!

Hope this helps and I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear how it goes.

tc

[1] And, as it happens, toured the USA, doing field gun running.  I believe he still has the scars on his shoulders from carrying the wheels across the 'chasm'.