Ah Google says 'gillie' noun, noun: ghillie
  1. 1.
    (in Scotland) a man or boy who attends someone on a hunting or fishing expedition.
  2. 2.
    a type of shoe with laces along the instep and no tongue, especially those used for Scottish country dancing.

So I suppose someone attending the main hunter might dress to disguise himself (like the ghillie suit)...
If also says they can be a type of gameskeeper, trying to prevent poaching - thus a camo suit would come in handy...
"... from the Scottish Gaelic gille, "lad, servant".  [...] Historically, the term was used for a Highland chief's attendant."
Interesting but not quite what Jeff's looking for I think - though as a word mutated over the centuries it could be good.  "Gille" - gone from the lowly meaning to one of high repute?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Andrew Long <xxxxxx@me.com> wrote:
.
> On 17 Apr 2017, at 16:09, Rob Davenport <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> I quite like that 'Ghillie' - but how did that also come to be used in the 'ghillie suit' camo usage?   Hmmm….

A ghillie suit is worn by a ghillie, which is a Scottish word for a gamekeeper (sort of…)
The original poster is a little off-mark. The TV series was called ‘Monarch of the Glen’, and the character is actually called ‘Golly’ (Golly the Ghillie… a bit twee, but that’s the BBC for you).
You can find out more here:- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238793/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Regards, Andy

--
Andrew Long