Teaching my kids science: s/f book recommendations? Asher Royce Yaffee (17 Apr 2014 02:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] Teaching my kids science: s/f book recommendations? Timothy Collinson (17 Apr 2014 07:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Teaching my kids science: s/f book recommendations? Kurt Feltenberger (17 Apr 2014 17:26 UTC)

On 4/16/2014 10:18 PM, Asher Royce Yaffee wrote:
> Hi, All,
>    I seek s/f book recommendations for novels that teach science.
>    For example, I'm interested in how it would feel to be inside a
> rotating habitat -- coriolis effect, dropped objects seeming to veer
> off to anti-spinward, nausea, etc.  My kids have watched plenty of
> Babylon5 with me.  My oldest son and I read Clarke's "Islands in the
> Sky" and Steele's "Orbital Decay" together last summer.  I remember
> long ago reading Heinlein's and Harry Harrison's rotating generation
> ship novels long ago.  And the kids' characters spend a lot of time on
> a lab ship that can rotate -- as in "Death Station", if I recall the
> adventure name correctly.
>    Any other pertinent novels to recommend?
>    And my nebula adventure will have an introduction to astronomy.  I
> remember, in the first Man-Kzin Wars book, Poul Anderson has Kzinti
> getting fuel by skimming a sun! -- but it seemed to make sense when I
> read it, ages ago.  There is a berserker short story that takes place
> in orbit around a black hole.  In Forever War, they travel by black
> hole, though I don't remember any details about being near a black
> hole.  Any pertinent novels come to mind?
>    And let me leave this wide open:  Any s/f novel at all that had a
> cool science lesson.  If I can find your recommendations at the public
> library, then they'll end up where my oldest son can find them.
>    Thank you all again for your willingness to offer up suggestions.
>    Sincerely,
> Asher

I'd suggest "War World:  The Battle Of Sauron" by John F Carr and Don
Hawthorne.  It includes "The Face Of The Enemy" that covers the battle
for Tanith, though slightly edited to allow it to be the first part of a
book.  It takes place a few hundred years before The Mote In God's Eye
and covers the last battles of the Sauron wars.

http://www.amazon.com/War-World-The-Battle-Sauron-ebook/dp/B00BDP0S3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397755546&sr=8-1&keywords=war+world+the+battle+for+sauron

--
Kurt Feltenberger
xxxxxx@thepaw.org/xxxxxx@yahoo.com