Re: [TML] Ship Design & the 'Plankwells' Rupert Boleyn 22 Jun 2014 01:01 UTC

On 20/06/2014 22:43, Richard Aiken wrote:

> And . . . I just have to say this . . . weren't the French picked on by the
> British, for regarding high speed [sufficient to dodge - e.g. run away from
> - incoming rounds] as equivalent to heavy armor? :P

Not at that time. Earlier, in the 19th century, all sorts of things were
tried. Technology was changing very fast, and there were very few major
battles, so everyone was guessing as to what would work. Speed probably
was a good way of avoiding damage for a cruiser in the late 19th
century. In the early 20th, though, it was not - the rapid advances in
fire control from about 1906 onwards made out-ranging or evading gunfire
much harder.