Re: [TML] Ship Design & the 'Plankwells' Rupert Boleyn 22 Jun 2014 01:11 UTC

On 21/06/2014 02:30, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) wrote:

> Somewhere I have a book that detailed the original armor scheme for
> the Renown, Repulse, & the Hood at the time they were laid down
> (pre-Jutland). The Hood was particularly silly w/ 32,000+ t/displ &
> pretty thin armor.

That was the earlier design for Hood. As laid down she was a larger,
faster, and better armoured Queen Elizabeth. After Jutland her
class-mates were broken up (as they'd barely been started), but Hood was
built to completion because it would have cost more and tied up the slip
longer to have broken her up, and had quite a bit more deck armour
worked in. She was known to have flaws, being a pre-Jutland design, but
as she was the flagship, and the best of the older ships, she always had
her mid-life refits put off, which is why she hadn't been properly
rebuilt when WWII broke out (though it's unlikely to have made a
difference when she was sunk).

> To get back to the TU & the CT Plankwells, I couldn't imagine
> trotting them out into battle using the CT HighGuard rules. Not w/
> that puny Class 3 Meson Screen!

Her armour is somewhat light, too. A spinal PAW will scrape weapon
systems off her very quickly.