Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Freelance Traveller 23 Sep 2014 22:51 UTC

Please note that I do not normally take conversations from private mail
to public fora. However, in this case, I felt that some important points
relevant to the list needed to be made, and simply copying the mail
exchange seemed the easiest way to do so. My profound apologies to
anyone offended by this action.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:19:37 +1000, Greg Chalik <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
wrote to me off-list:

>Interesting you put the Talmudic 'model' in, but its not quite correct.
>
>?The model you describe is a very recent invention of perhaps early 18th
>century Eastern Europe.
>
>The models of education in Israel (as a people) changed over time.
>
>If you are interested, I'm happy to provide more information.

This is exactly why I like to see posted to the list the sort of
half-notes-half-braindumps like my worldbuilding/culturebuilding posts -
they provoke others to think about the subjects, and perhaps add their
own thoughts and ideas. Given that, I'd strongly encourage you to post
further discussion, just as tc did.

As far as invention by Eastern Europeans, yes, that's pretty much what
the Wikipedia articles I was working from said; I don't recall the
dates. I believe that it's become widespread enough that if I were to
say "Talmudic model of education" to the average Jew - or even the
average rabbi, who could be expected to know more about it than his
average congregant - the Lithuanian Yeshiva model that I described would
be assumed by default.

And yes, I realize that Wikipedia should not be taken as a final
authority, just as a starting point for further research if desired.
Just like any encyclopedia.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)