Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Jeff Zeitlin (04 Aug 2023 22:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Tom Rux (05 Aug 2023 21:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Jeffrey Schwartz (07 Aug 2023 13:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Jeff Zeitlin (07 Aug 2023 15:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Greg nokes (07 Aug 2023 16:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Alex Goodwin (07 Aug 2023 17:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Freelance Traveller Temporary Outage Kurt Feltenberger (07 Aug 2023 20:13 UTC)

On 8/8/23 02:00, Greg nokes - greg at nokes.name (via tml list) wrote:
> Back in the 90s we claimed that boxes ran better if someone bled in them. (Due to all of the sharp edges in the stamped metal cutting us all).
>
> Perhaps modern boxes prefer Coke Zero?
>
> I wonder what sort of beliefs like that exist in Traveller? I know about jump dimming, but what do folks have in their TUs?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Well, out of the Advisoryverse...

Probably more a custom than a belief, but at least on the Terran side of
the border, those who crew with you can use whatever in-crew nickname
you accumulate, but not outsiders.

The exception being if someone's widely known by such a nickname - such
as Badass Badass-Moustache, known to one and all as plain "Moustache".

Frinstance, Ahluvda Hudugurusinha ended up known to Agro + crew
(including Curly) as "Guru", and didn't turn a hair when Curly addressed
him as such, and vice versa. The Paradise's crew freely referred to the
latter as "Curly", but it was "Captain Hudugurusinha", not "Guru".

In my 1130s/1140s GTU, signalling "BZ" in Morse on a ship's running
lights before jumping to deep space, to propitiate the jump drive.
Conversely, (at least in/around the Great Rift), doing the same on a
deep space-to-deep space jump is presumed to invite disaster.  Note this
refers to the _intended_ destination - misjumps get a pass.

Alex