Re: [TML]Off-Topic: Reimagined Cylons Are Non-Self-Aware Humans Jeffrey Schwartz (13 Jul 2015 13:34 UTC)
Re: [TML]Off-Topic: Reimagined Cylons Are Non-Self-Aware Humans Bruce Johnson (13 Jul 2015 18:18 UTC)
Re: [TML]Off-Topic: Reimagined Cylons Are Non-Self-Aware Humans Jeffrey Schwartz (13 Jul 2015 19:55 UTC)

Re: [TML]Off-Topic: Reimagined Cylons Are Non-Self-Aware Humans Bruce Johnson 13 Jul 2015 18:18 UTC

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 6:34 AM, Jeffrey Schwartz <schwartz.jeffrey@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Article I'd been working on for Freelance Traveller... but got creeped out by and never really finished.
> Parts are relevant, I think
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i809pu4G-iUvGOMdAg7zGsvE6pqDvweH8Fzn-ojgf4A/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Title is "Battle Dress User Interface at Higher Tech Levels”

This is reminiscent of the kind of cyber interfaces in Samuel Delany’s “Nova”; where factory functionality, for example, was mapped to a controller’s body. They built things with their 'hands’ and ‘kicked’ the finished, packaged, transportable  objects out to the docks with their ‘feet’.

This is also similar to some cyberpunk tropes about people getting addicted to cyber enhancements and ‘cyber psychosis’.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona