Somewhat off-topic question... Christopher Sean Hilton (06 Oct 2016 22:51 UTC)
Re: Somewhat off-topic question... Christopher Sean Hilton (08 Oct 2016 19:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Somewhat off-topic question... shadow@xxxxxx (08 Oct 2016 22:22 UTC)

Re: Somewhat off-topic question... Christopher Sean Hilton 08 Oct 2016 19:32 UTC
On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 06:51:43PM -0400, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> I made some tweaks to the system generator to support other relational
> database systems from postgresql. I added the seed as a parameter so I
> could make debugging easier. Basically repeated runs with the same
> seed should generate the exact same output. When testing with
> postgresql this works fine. When testing with mysql, it
> doesn't. That's weird.
>
> If anyone has thoughts about why this might happen I'd love to hear
> them off-list.

After more investigation the generator isn't working properly with
postgresql either. I've done a bunch of work trying to find this my
current theory is that somehow the random number generator's state is
being change out of my control due to my using. I think it may be
reseeding itself to ensure high quality. I'm thinking this because I
just discovered that the results are exactly the same for the first
half of the sector and then they diverge. If indeed the random number
generator is reseeding itself then I can handle that too.

First step is to count the number times I'm hitting the random()
function...

I receive a lot of good suggestions off-line and I wanted to give a
status and say thanks.

--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]