A source for TL6/7 hand held weapons for use in space Graham Donald (25 Nov 2016 11:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] A source for TL6/7 hand held weapons for use in space Bruce Johnson (25 Nov 2016 23:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] A source for TL6/7 hand held weapons for use in space Kurt Feltenberger (28 Nov 2016 02:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] A source for TL6/7 hand held weapons for use in space Jeffrey Schwartz (01 Dec 2016 01:37 UTC)

Re: [TML] A source for TL6/7 hand held weapons for use in space Bruce Johnson 25 Nov 2016 23:02 UTC

> On Nov 25, 2016, at 4:04 AM, Graham Donald (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>
> Just spotted this 1965 document on projected hand held space-weapon designs on an aerospace blog and Referees looking for unusual designs might want to check this out.
>
> The blog entry which has scans of selected pages is linked below:
>
> http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=33691

Well, given that a properly maintained conventional firearm will work in a vacuum, I don’t know that there was much need for these. A few of them are just ‘sci-fied up’ standard air rifles.

Note: fins do not work to stabilize things in a vacuum. Sharp fins on the projectile will make a serious hash of your vac suit, and you if they’re moving fast enough.

neat “color” for a low tech campaign though. A couple of those are macguyverish enough for improvised weapons, too.

figuring out range and such in a vacuum in different gravity fields could produce a lot of fun times.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona