Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (26 Nov 2016 23:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Rob Davenport (27 Nov 2016 03:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (27 Nov 2016 17:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Greg Nokes (27 Nov 2016 22:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (01 Dec 2016 01:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (01 Dec 2016 01:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Rob Davenport (30 Nov 2016 00:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (01 Dec 2016 00:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Rob Davenport (01 Dec 2016 03:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment shadow@xxxxxx (29 Nov 2016 18:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Jeff Zeitlin (01 Dec 2016 00:41 UTC)

Re: [TML] Alternate Jump Drive: Request for Comment Greg Nokes 27 Nov 2016 22:10 UTC

> On Nov 27, 2016, at 9:53 AM, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 22:26:35 -0500, Rob Davenport
> <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So a J-6 ship could "double back" cheaply?  Jump out 1pc (40 hours, 12
>> fuel) and jump back (another 40 hours 12 fuel) - 80 hours total, much
>> faster than normal (300 hours).   Could be useful to get out of a jam
>> and come back on scene after 80 hours of repairs, rest, healing, to
>> "try again".
>
> Yes - but remember that when you built that ship, you paid for the
> full jump-6 capability, which means that the drive is large. You also
> have to pay for the extra fuel capacity.
>
> As an example, let's take a Marava hull (hull rate 200) and refit it
> for a J6 drive but max distance J2 (it will be able to do out-and-back
> J1 without refueling):

There would probably start to be levels of service between certain systems - IE “we can get your data/mail/cargo/people there in 40 hours rather then 150, so we will charge X more."

I’d think it would be like the fed ex overnight vs fed ex ground - you are paying for time.

For example (just a WAG)
First Class (40 hours per Parsec) 2.5x cost
Second Class (80 hours per parsec) 2x cost
Third Class (120 hours per parsec) 1.5x cost
Normal Rate (150 hours per parsec) 1x cost

I’d see a lot of first class, second class and normal rate traffic.

So if you have a package that needs to get there really fast, you can pony up and buy space on the faster ship. I see a lot of businesses doing this - for stuff and for people. If you have employees traveling for meetings, spending 150 hours in jump is a bigger money sink then spending 40 hours in jump, and time is money - salary and lost opportunities. If you have a work team idling waiting on parts or materials, getting there 120 hours quicker could be a huge win.

Honestly if you have two high pop worlds a jump or two apart, I could see a the majority of traffic using the faster jump.