Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Timothy Collinson (08 Feb 2017 15:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller James Catchpole (08 Feb 2017 15:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Timothy Collinson (08 Feb 2017 20:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Andrew Long (08 Feb 2017 22:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Jim Catchpole (08 Feb 2017 22:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Andrew Long (08 Feb 2017 22:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Jim Catchpole (08 Feb 2017 22:49 UTC)
RE: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Hemdian (08 Feb 2017 18:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Timothy Collinson (08 Feb 2017 20:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Rupert Boleyn (08 Feb 2017 19:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Timothy Collinson (08 Feb 2017 20:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Rupert Boleyn (09 Feb 2017 01:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller David Shaw (08 Feb 2017 20:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Timothy Collinson (08 Feb 2017 22:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Douglas Berry (08 Feb 2017 22:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Grimmund (09 Feb 2017 15:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller tmr0195@xxxxxx (08 Feb 2017 22:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller tmr0195@xxxxxx (08 Feb 2017 22:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller tmr0195@xxxxxx (09 Feb 2017 19:47 UTC)

Re: [TML] Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller Rupert Boleyn 08 Feb 2017 19:27 UTC

On 09Feb2017 0415, Timothy Collinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Bit frustrated to want to quickly look up what rank the Captain of a
> Sleipnir-class Confederation Patroller from the Sword Worlds might be
> only to find it doesn't even tell you what the crew size of one is.
>
> I'm assuming it would need to have at least:
> Pilot, Engineer, & Astrogator
>
> but as it has three turrets, probably 3 Gunners as well. [1]
> I'd have added a Medic but can imagine the Sword Worlders being tough
> enough to double that up with, say an Astrogator, even if means having a
> medic that's a tad less skilled.
> Even so that's 6 people.
>
> However, there is only 1 (double occupancy) stateroom and a cramped
> barracks for "6 Marines/Crew".  So I'm not sure where all the marines
> are going... there's no room for more than 2!  Possibly just the 1.
>
> Anyone else actually looked at this, got any thoughts?

Well, the Marines could double as gunners.

> Then, back to my original question, what rank would the Captain be?  7
> crew under him?  (I'm going to go with him rather than him/her given
> it's the Sword Worlds).  I'd have said 'Lieutenant' thinking of real
> world ranks for a smallish ship/crew like that but the language
> equivalent 'Leutnant' is Rank 4 which seems a bit high.  If I was to go
> with, say, Rank 2 it just doesn't feel like 'Seniorsergent' is quite
> right.  Although that's the rank at which you get Pilot 1 which would
> kind of support the typical Pilot-plays-captain routine.

I'd still go with a (Navy) Lieutenant-equivalent rank if the ship has
any independent patrolling in its duties, as I don't recall that the
Swordies gave NCOs extraordinary authority compared to everyone else.

> Thoughts?
>
> (I'm in the Mongoose Traveller Sword Worlds book if that helps p.90)
>
> <wanders off to practise his Scandinavian language ability to role play
> the NPC convincingly>
>
> tc
>

> [1] Or am I misunderstanding that 3 gunners are needed for the following:
> Hardpoint #1: Missile Bank
> Hardpoint #2: Fixed Mounting (Missile Rack)
> Hardpoint #3: Double Turret (Sandcaster/Sandcaster)
>
> (and what's the difference between 1 & 2?)

Well a fixed mounting would normally be controlled by the pilot, but it
seems odd for a missile launcher in space combat.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief