FW: GURPS Discworld: "Do they mean us?!" David Jaques-Watson 23 May 2017 13:14 UTC

Dear Folks -

I wrote to Phil Masters, asking him about his Traveller work, and he was
both gracious enough to reply and also allow me to forward his responses to
the TML.

-+-+-+-+-+-
On 18/05/2017 15:10, I wrote to Phil:
> Do you have a complete list of your Traveller writing credits, BTW?

I've never had the sense to keep track, so this is all from memory...

> ... I have them down as the following:
>
> Contact: The Githiaskio, by Phil Masters JTAS16
> Contact: The Jgd-Il-jagd, by Phil Masters JTAS17
> Animal Handling Skills, by Phil Masters JTAS19
> Contact: The Hlanssai, by Phil Masters JTAS22
> Data File: Information Sources, by Phil Masters JTAS24
> Lone Dragon  White Dwarf 68
> Worldly Power  White Dwarf 46

I do remember all of those!

> Contributor, GURPS Traveller: Alien Races 4 - Bwaps, Jgd-Il-jagd, Hlanssai

Actually, my contributions in that book were the Githiaskio, Hlanssai,
J'aadje, Jgd-ll-Jagd (note the spelling), and Virushi.

[NB: the spelling given by Phil above is JGD-LL-JAGD, which means I've been
spelling it wrong forever and need to change my Library Data entry here:
http://members.tip.net.au/~davidjw/libdata/alphabet/j/jgd_i_j.htm  ]

> Have I missed anything?

Well, there were my Aliens in the "Starbase" column in WD 47 (the
Phulgk'k'k'k and the Ghashruan - sadly neither ever became any sort of
Traveller canon). And I contributed a few words to *GURPS Traveller:
Starships* (stuff on Jgd-ll-Jagd vessels, as I recall). But that's about it.

> I should also ask you about what it was like to co-write with Terry.

This is becoming a bit of a FAQ... And the truth is that the collaboration,
while amicable, wasn't exactly intimate. The credit on the title page, if
you look, is "Discworld created by Terry Pratchett, GURPS Adaptation by Phil
Masters". He had the cover credit because the setting was, after all, his,
and I carefully studied it while writing the books, and then ran the
manuscript past him - as he put it, he was there to sprinkle fairy dust on
it as well as approve it, though he didn't change much. And by the time the
second edition was being created, he didn't feel able to look at it in great
detail, so far as I could tell, and anyway he trusted me by then.

Which last is something I'm quite proud of in itself. Anyhow, the
collaboration was mostly a matter of a few e-mails, with questions answered
politely from him and care taken not to give him reasons to complain by me.
Which was fine, and I enjoyed it.

> Anyway, just wanted to thank you for replying, and to ask: may I post
> your responses to the Traveller Mailing List, and maybe to CotI
> (Citizens of the Imperium website)? The TML has been going since 1987!

Sure, go ahead.

Regards,

--
Phil Masters
http://www.philmasters.org.uk

Thank you Phil for your help!

Finally, I'd like to finish with a relevant tagline from my collection
(which I'm also going to have to spellcheck!):

On the Internet:
Jonathon Barton: "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a _dog_^H^H^H
_Vargr_^H^H^H^H^H  _Jgd-Il-Jagd_."
Bruce Johnson: "I _must_ correct this notion. On the Internet it's extremely
easy to tell if someone is a large bloated gasbag....the so-called
'blogosphere' is rampant with 'em." :-P
David "Hyphen" Jaques-Watson ..at.. Beowulf Down (Tavonni/Vilis/SM 1520)
http://www.tip.net.au/~davidjw                    xxxxxx@pcug.org.au
"I file things in historical order, with a hashing algorithm of gravity"