C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick James (02 May 2020 22:35 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Charles S Morris (03 May 2020 04:55 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick James (03 May 2020 08:08 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick Haigh (03 May 2020 16:28 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Charles S Morris (03 May 2020 19:32 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick Haigh (03 May 2020 20:22 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Charles S Morris (03 May 2020 23:06 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Charles S Morris (04 May 2020 17:36 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick James (04 May 2020 18:58 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Charles S Morris (05 May 2020 00:30 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Richard Miles (05 May 2020 11:18 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Richard Miles (04 May 2020 20:47 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Thomas Lehmann (03 May 2020 07:28 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick James (03 May 2020 07:57 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Thomas Lehmann (03 May 2020 20:04 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Thomas Lehmann (06 May 2020 17:56 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) new fragment Nick James 03 May 2020 06:40 UTC
Good morning Charles,

Many thanks for your posting. I agree absolutely that we should always
urge caution with observations such as this and any potential "fragment"
should be confirmed over multiple nights by multiple observers.

Any comments from a person with your level of experience must be heeded
but I disagree that these observations should only be made with metre
class telescopes. Within the BAA, Nick Haigh, Denis Buczynski, Richard
Miles, myself and others have imaged the fragmentation of C/2019 Y4 with
telescopes in the 0.26-m to 0.35-m range and provided astrometry to the
MPC. Have a look at my sequence here:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2020/2019y4_20200405_ndj.jpg

and many of the images in our C/2019 Y4 archive here:

https://britastro.org/cometobs/2019y4/thumbnails.html

You can compare images taken by multiple observers on the same night and
see common features. The quality of comet imaging with modern systems
has come on significantly in the last 10-15 years.

With regard to the new suspected fragment I am as surprised as you are.
It wasn't on my image of May 1st but it is on three stacks of 15 minutes
each taken last night (May 2nd). The animated GIF attached shows stacks
used for astrometry (the star trails are around 26 arcsec long). The
object in question is the small dot around 22 arcsec ahead of the bright
remaining fragment B and moving with the comet. It is rather faint, 19th
mag, but it is measurable. On the plane of sky 22 arcsec corresponds to
around 15,000 km at the current distance so, assuming a break up around
March 25, a relative velocity of 4.5 m/s in the plane of sky would suffice.

Regarding the fragment lettering I agree it is a mess and it must be
really hard for MPC/JPL to keep track of these based on astrometry
alone. The lettering evolved during the breakup and was different for
different observers but I think generally we agree that the remaining
bright fragment is "B". This corresponds to the official MPC designation
(C/2019 Y4-B). At the time on comets-ml I suggested that it would be a
good idea to come up with a standard approach early on but, in reality
it is the MPC who does this. It was certainly not HST since they only
released their images towards the end of April.

Nick.