2019y4 20200504_05 denis buczynski (04 May 2020 23:30 UTC)
Re: 2019y4 20200504_05 Nick Haigh (04 May 2020 23:42 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 2019y4 20200504_05 Nick James (05 May 2020 06:16 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Ronan Newman (05 May 2020 09:43 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Martin Smith (05 May 2020 10:45 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] mmatti@westnet.com.au (05 May 2020 11:39 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Ronan Newman (05 May 2020 13:01 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] John Drummond (05 May 2020 21:49 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] mmatti@westnet.com.au (06 May 2020 11:58 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 2019y4 20200504_05 Nick James 05 May 2020 06:15 UTC

Denis,

My image from last night (May 4.9) in poor conditions also shows this
sunward bar of material:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2020/2019y4_20200504_2141_ndj.jpg

It is around 25 arcsec long and looks as if it doesn't exactly point
back to the photocentre of component B. This bar was faintly in evidence
on May 2.9 and is clear in Martin's image of May 4.2.

As Richard noted this sunward bar is probably composed of many small
fragments any one of which could suddenly and briefly brighten as we saw
on May 2.

I know we have the distraction of the very nice C/2020 F8 (SWAN) on the
way but it is definitely worth spending time imaging this comet as it
heads towards perihelion. This will be challenging as the elongation
decreases but many professional and large remote telescopes won't be
able to follow it so our observations will be a particularly important
piece of the puzzle.

Nick.

On 05/05/2020 00:29, denis buczynski - buczynski8166 at btinternet.com