C/2019 Y4 ATLAS Peter Tickner (06 May 2020 16:37 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 ATLAS denis buczynski (06 May 2020 16:55 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 ATLAS Peter Tickner (06 May 2020 16:59 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 ATLAS denis buczynski (06 May 2020 17:18 UTC)

RE: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 ATLAS Peter Tickner 06 May 2020 16:59 UTC

Ah!  And I thought I had got it right this time!

Will try harder!

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: baa-comet@simplelists.com [mailto:baa-comet@simplelists.com]
Sent: 06 May 2020 17:55
To: Peter Tickner - peter. tickner1472 at btinternet. com
Subject: Re: [BAA Comets] C/2019 Y4 ATLAS

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the image of C/2019Y4 taken last night, which confirms the detail I described in my last post to this group.Please keep imaging this comet for as long as your local conditions will allow. Also I look forward to seeing your image of C/2017T2.
One point I would like to make is that the file naming format for saving images to the BAA Comet Archive are outlined in this link:
Submitting drawings and images to the section archive | British Astronomical Association:

https://britastro.org/node/16839

It would be helpful if the guidelines could be followed by all.
For an example your image of C/2019Y4 should have the filename 2019y4_20200505_2159_ptickner not C2019Y4ATLAS_20200505_2159-2326_Tickner.jpg

Best wishes
Denis

On Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 17:37:43 BST, Peter Tickner - peter. tickner1472 at btinternet. com <baa-comet@simplelists.com> wrote:

In the end I tried 30second subframes with the gain at two thirds of maximum (Sharpcap setting 400 on gain scale of 1-600) and 2x colour binning.  I took nearly 200 images but discarded around 20 where the bright bit of the comet crossed a star in the field of view.  Even with flats and darks the result was quite noisy and needed smoothing heavily as can be seen in my images.  However they do also clearly show that the new and only bright part (B per Denis's image earleir) is the only clearly identifiable condensation.  In my images it is almost round too - like a normal coma if it was at the front of the comet.

I did also try some 60second images but by then the comet was too low from my location and I ended up blocked by my own roll-off roof.     Afterwards I imaged C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS and I hope to post an image later - it was looking much more healthier!

Peter
To unsubscribe from this list please go to http://archives.simplelists.com