BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Nick James (04 May 2020 06:21 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Thomas Lehmann (04 May 2020 06:59 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Charles S Morris (08 May 2020 22:14 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Nick James (09 May 2020 08:56 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Richard Miles (09 May 2020 10:31 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Charles S Morris (09 May 2020 20:37 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] BAA Journal news note on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Nick James 09 May 2020 08:56 UTC
Charles,

Many thanks for your comments on the news note.

The naming of the components is pretty much a free-for-all prior to the
official names coming out of the MPC. In fact, I believe that the MPC
ignore the temporary designations supplied by observers and try to link
the observations purely through astrometry. When there are lots of
objects close together this leads to a lot of confusion.

Within the BAA we tried to use the same letters for the same
condensations running from A for the most sunward back down the tail.
The problem is that other components then appear and A swapped places
with B so everything gets out of order.

MPEC 2020-H28, which came out on April 18, refers to Peter Birtwhistle's
image (attached) and these were the first "official" ones, i.e. C/2019
Y4-A and so on.

Richard's image with the 2.0-m RC shows much more than we were seeing
with 0.25 - 0.25-m class instruments. He tried to keep the same capital
letter designations and so used lower-case for condensations that we
couldn't see. I'm not sure where "FF" comes from though! Perhaps he can
remember.

Component A, which was initially the brightest and the one out in front
was the longest lived fragment. Component B is the condensation that
still survives as the remnant nucleus although MPEC 2020-J16 seems to
have assigned a lot of my later C/2019 Y4-B astrometry to a new
component, C/2019 Y4-E. No idea why.

I agree it is all a bit of a mess but someone will sort it out eventually!

Nick.