10th Anniversary of the passing of Brian G. Marsden Richard Miles (18 Nov 2020 16:50 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 10th Anniversary of the passing of Brian G. Marsden Nick James (19 Nov 2020 08:06 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 10th Anniversary of the passing of Brian G. Marsden Nick James 19 Nov 2020 08:05 UTC

Charles/Richard,

I met Brian a few times when he came over to England. He was a great
supporter of amateurs and a very approachable person given his almost
god-like status in the comet world. I'm reminded of him almost every day
when I submit astrometry to the MPC and the response comes back from
vmsops@marsden.cfa.harvard.edu.

Gareth Williams wrote an obit for Brian in the Guardian which is online
here:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/nov/23/brian-marsden-obituary

This oral history interview with Brian, done in 2005, is well worth a read.

https://www.aip.org/history-programs/niels-bohr-library/oral-histories/32973-1

It shows how he rose from humble beginnings, honed his skills in the BAA
and then moved on to head the MPC. A really inspiring story.

Nick.