29P early hours of 23rd November Peter Tickner (23 Nov 2020 01:08 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Nick James (23 Nov 2020 07:14 UTC)
29P 22nd November hints of coma features Peter Carson (23 Nov 2020 16:53 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Richard Miles (23 Nov 2020 17:55 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Nick James (23 Nov 2020 18:12 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Richard Miles (23 Nov 2020 19:00 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Janice McClean 1 (24 Nov 2020 09:33 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Richard Miles (23 Nov 2020 17:51 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 29P early hours of 23rd November Nick James 23 Nov 2020 18:12 UTC

Richard,

Thanks. Could you explain a bit more about the characteristic Pacman
shape that we are seeing?

Presumably the eruption is effectively an impulse and the material then
expands almost symmetrically in a hemisphere above the surface. The coma
expansion rate is 200 m/s or so which is an order of magnitude or more
times the escape velocity so I would expect most of the material to
travel away in straight lines so we would see an expanding hemisphere
from some external angle. I don't see how that causes the shape we
actually see.

I know I can probably go and read your Icarus paper but a short summary
would help!

Nick