Comet C/2021A1 (Leonard) Peter Carson (16 Oct 2021 18:37 UTC)
Re: Comet C/2021A1 (Leonard) David Swan (17 Oct 2021 10:45 UTC)

Re: Comet C/2021A1 (Leonard) David Swan 17 Oct 2021 10:45 UTC

Thanks Peter: these are excellent captures.

The comet is definitely coming to the attention of the wider amateur astro community - Bob King has a nice web column on it (https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/how-bright-will-comet-leonard-get/).

Fingers crossed for a good apparition. I'll do some morning imaging if the cloud cover prediction made the day before looks good.

David

From: baa-comet@simplelists.com <baa-comet@simplelists.com> on behalf of Peter Carson <petercarson100@gmail.com>
Sent: 16 October 2021 11:36
To: Charles S Morris - cometguy3783 at yahoo.com (via baa-comet list)
Subject: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2021A1 (Leonard)

Hi All,
Tomorrow morning comet C/2021A1 (Leonard) has an altitude of 34 degrees from the UK at the start of astronomical twilight so is easily accessible providing you can force yourself out from between the bedsheets.
The comet is brightening quickly and three mornings ago I measured it as having a visual equivalent magnitude of 12.6 and a 3’ dia. coma. Who knows how bright it will be as it approaches perihelion in 11 weeks time, but it’s definitely worth watching.
The comet is displaying a broad fan shaped dust tail, which should grow as its brightness increases.
See my latest images here:
C/2021A1 October 5th  http://www.astromania.co.uk/2021A1_20211005_0504_PCarson.jpg
C/2021A1 October 13th http://www.astromania.co.uk/2021A1_20211013_0504_PCarson.jpg

Peter