E3 tail separation Peter Tickner (19 Jan 2023 12:59 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] E3 tail separation Peter Tickner (19 Jan 2023 13:49 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] E3 tail separation Nick James (21 Jan 2023 08:02 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] E3 tail separation Peter Tickner (21 Jan 2023 17:51 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] E3 tail separation Thomas Lehmann (22 Jan 2023 12:32 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] E3 tail separation Thomas Lehmann 22 Jan 2023 12:32 UTC

After processing of my images from Jan 18/19 and Jan 20/21 I should mention
some other interesting observations adding to the picture:
- images of C/2020 V2 on Jan 18.88 UT show an unexpected ion tail of length 0.7°
- images of C/2022 E3 on Jan 19.05 UT show the prominent ion tail extending
  beyond the border of the image at 2.6°
- images of C/2022 A2 on Jan 19.07 UT show an unexpected ion tail of length
  larger than 1.1° (extending beyond the border of image)
and
- images of C/2020 V2 on Jan 20.79 UT do only show a marginal trace of an ion
  tail (length ~5') despite having tripled the total exposure time

Unfortunately I was not able to observe C/2022 A2 and C/2022 E3 a second time
due to poor weather.

The three comets C/2022 E3, C/2022 A2 and C/2020 V2 do have quite different solar
distances (from 1.1 to 2.5 AU) but appear to be located within a spatial angle of
about 50 degrees seen from the sun. Could it be possible that the changes in
ion tail activity of those comets are triggered by the same solar event
propagating in the interplanetary magnetic field?

Thomas