12P in outburst again Nick James (31 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P in outburst again Nick James (06 Nov 2023 20:24 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] 12P in outburst again Peter Carson (06 Nov 2023 22:29 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P in outburst again Thomas Lehmann (07 Nov 2023 08:14 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 12P in outburst again Nick James 06 Nov 2023 20:24 UTC
Around six days since 12P had a double outburst the inner coma diameter
is around 2 arcmin. The attached image was taken earlier this evening.
The comet shows interesting structure in the coma with rays either side
of a darker region and a bright lump of material lto the east of the
photocentre. Note also that the expanding coma is not exactly circular.
I have not seen this before and I assume it is the effect of solar
radiation pressure on the dust cloud but I need to check the geometry.

I get a total magnitude of 10.9 including some of the faint outer coma.

Pleaes keep an eye on this comet whenever you get a chance.

Nick.

PS - Richard sent some images obtained using larger telescopes a few
days ago but these got stuck since the exceeded the maximum file size
limits. I have just released them.