Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing Nick James (17 Nov 2023 09:24 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing Erik Bryssinck (18 Nov 2023 08:41 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing Douglas Heggie (18 Nov 2023 09:41 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing Erik Bryssinck (18 Nov 2023 10:17 UTC)
12P astrometry Nick James (20 Nov 2023 23:12 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P astrometry Maik Meyer (21 Nov 2023 07:08 UTC)

RE: [BAA Comets] Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing Erik Bryssinck 18 Nov 2023 10:17 UTC

thanks for the explanation, Nick. i am trying to observe this comet as much as possible, unfortunately the weather here is very bad, lots of rain and lots of clouds. yesterday's observation was also during a brief brightening later in the evening until the comet disappeared behind a tree.

Best regards,
Erik.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: baa-comet@simplelists.com [mailto:baa-comet@simplelists.com] Namens Nick James
Verzonden: zaterdag 18 november 2023 10:11
Aan: baa-comet@simplelists.com
Onderwerp: Re: [BAA Comets] Re: 12P interesting inner coma developing

Hi Erik,

That is a very interesting observation but I think that these are just denser clumps of dust in the expanding coma. It is definitely worth keeping them under observation as frequently as possible. This comet is large and has survived many returns and so it is unlikely that any major disruption to the nucleus will occur this time around.

Even though the total magnitude is holding constant the peak brightness of photocentre is falling back towards its preoutburst state. I've plotted slices through the coma using images from around 1 day before the outburst and then 1, 2 and 3 days after. As of last night the peak was around 4x the preoutburst peak. The animation shows the developing structures in the coma.

Richard - Do you have any images from the 2.0m telescopes that you can share?

Nick.