12P/Pons-Brooks this evening Paul Abel (06 Mar 2024 19:43 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks this evening Nick James (07 Mar 2024 07:11 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks this evening Nick James 07 Mar 2024 07:11 UTC

Paul/Peter and everyone observing this comet,

Many thanks for your observations. This is turning out to be a really
nice object, well worth making the effort to observe.

I too managed to get some observations in last night (March 6) when, for
a change, it was clear at dusk here in Chelmsford.

This is a colour, wide-field image taken using a 72mm refractor and an
ASI294MC one-shot colour camera:

https://nickdjames.com/Comets/2024/12p_20240306_193839_ndj.jpg

Then, two examples of closer in taken using a 0.28m SCT + ASI6200MM.
There is some lovely detail in the inner coma and ion tail. There is
enough SNR in the image to allow use of a Larson-Sekanina filter and
that brings out a lot of features in the inner coma.

https://nickdjames.com/Comets/2024/12p_20240306_191559_ndj.jpg
https://nickdjames.com/Comets/2024/12p_20240306_1916_ndj.jpg

I managed to find the comet in small (8x30) binoculars from my garden.
It is too light polluted here to see it with the naked eye but it should
be visible from darker locations.

Keep observing this comet whenever you can! It will get harder as it
sinks into the twilight but it is worth the effort.

Nick.