Ah, thank you!

tanya

From: calweedtalk@simplelists.com <calweedtalk@simplelists.com> on behalf of Wrubel, Eric - eric_wrubel at nps.gov (via calweedtalk list) <calweedtalk@simplelists.com>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 1:44 PM
To: calweedtalk <calweedtalk@simplelists.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: CalWeedTalk vetiver grass?

NRCS has a plant guide for vetivergrass. Here are the enviornmental concnerns -

Vetivergrass is listed in the Global Compendium of Weeds. Vetivergrass genotypes that produce viable seed exist in certain areas and countries, such as the Caribbean and Australia, and are considered invasive weeds. The genotype “Sierra” was selected by NRCS Caribbean Area, after an evaluation of eight genotypes, as it is also essentially sterile. Those considered invasive should never be used for conservation plantings and are cause for concern. A short row of a fertile strain was observed growing on a ditch bank on the small island of Aunuu in American Samoa. The farmer uses the tops to mulch his taro. Although the plants have been growing for many years and haven’t spread, this strain should not be planted on the other islands in American Samoa. A concern is that people may order vetivergrass plants over the internet or by mail order without knowing that fertile strains exist, and accidentally import one of these. This is a real concern for most areas. Hawaii is somewhat unique in that plants and other vegetative material of grasses entering the state must be quarantined for one full year in a State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture plant quarantine facility. The plants can not be used or outplanted until after they have been released from quarantine.

Eric Wrubel
Biologist
Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Office: 415-289-1849
Cell: 415-308-6434

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM T. Meyer <nassella@outlook.com> wrote:
We do use that species all the time, and have a local source for plants and seed, but the landowner wants to use vetiver grass and we are concerned that it could be come invasive.