Hi Ellen, I'm not sure how to submit a photo through the listserv, but you can see lots of photos on Calphotos at: https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-taxon=Stipa+miliacea+var.+miliacea.  At first glance it's reminiscent of Bromus laevipes, with the drooping seedhead, but it has a meaty, robust base, which is a real pain in the ...astralagus...to dig out, if you know what I mean.

The distribution I'm seeing in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties reminds me of Dittrichia in like the year 2005 - the urban areas are deeply thick with it and it's hopeless there, but there are one or two plants on just about every rural road or preserve, which is alarming for the future.

Best

Miriam

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM calweedtalk email list <nobody@simplelists.com> wrote:
(Previous discussion continued)
Re: CalWeedTalk Stipa miliacea - ellenblakeborough@gmail.com (08 Dec 2019 15:24 PST)
RE: CalWeedTalk Stipa miliacea - Jutta Burger (09 Dec 2019 06:11 PST)
Tahoe Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator - Brusati, Elizabeth@Wildlife (09 Dec 2019 08:19 PST)

Re: CalWeedTalk Stipa miliacea by ellenblakeborough@gmail.com (08 Dec 2019 15:24 PST)
Reply to list

    Do you have a picture of what this looks like?
    Ellen Blakeborough
    Hidden Meadows
    San Diego County

    Sent from my iPad

    On Dec 5, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Jutta Burger <Jburger@cal-ipc.org> wrote:

    Hi Miriam:

    Sorry to have missed you at the symposium! We haven’t gotten any reports of it being particularly bad this year or recently. It (aka smilo grass) is listed as ‘limited’. My impression of it (also see mapping of it) is that it is very abundant already but remains confined to riparian areas at least in drier regions. It also easily gains a foothold, and, as a prolifically seeding perennial, is hard to dislodge. However, that it also does not have the tendency to form strong monocultures… a small ray of hope. The seeds are very, very small and can easily be tracked by people and wildlife. If you don’t have it yet in an area, it would be good to prevent it from pointy-elbowing its way into your system.

    Jutta

    <image002.png>

    Jutta Burger, PhD

    Science Program Director

    California Invasive Plant Council

    510.843.3902 x305

    jburger@cal-ipc.org

    www.cal-ipc.org

    <image004.png><image006.png><image008.png>