Another route of entry found for Zebra mussels –

From: Western Regional Panel <WRP@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Elizabeth Brown
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 7:56 AM
To: WRP@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Important alert - PetCo employee finding zebra mussels attached and inside moss balls being sold for aquariums

An important alert from USGS NAS. Please read information below and share broadly:

We have a troubling sighting report from Seattle. A PetCo employee has been finding zebra mussels attached and inside moss balls sold as aquarium plants.

This has been entered into NAS and USGS has been in contact with the WA AIS community. The more significant danger is these moss balls being distributed across the U.S.

Here is the NAS specimen report for more information.
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/SpecimenViewer.aspx?SpecimenID=1656916

An alert has been generated that matched your criteria from the Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database:

Dreissena polymorpha (zebra mussel) was found in a new StateCountyDrainage

Details:
State: WA
County: King
Drainage: Puget Sound (17110019)
Location: [Hitchhiker on pet store plants]

NAS ARM map was not generated because we presume the introduction has failed.

Zebra mussels have been found in shipments of Marimo moss balls (an aquarium plant) that are sold at pet stores.

More information on this specimen can be found:
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/specimenviewer.aspx?SpecimenID=1656916

More information on this species can be found:
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/SpResults.aspx?SpeciesID=5

Thank you,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Brown, Program Manager

Legislative Committee, Professional Development,

and the Certified Weed Free Products Program