From: Kevin Schwartz [mailto:kevin_schwartz@nps.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 6:43 AM
Subject: Subject: JOB ANNOUNCEMENTS BEGINNING DECEMBER 3, 2015 - Yosemite National Park, Vegetation and Ecological Restoration Branch. First Deadlines for submission DECEMBER 7, 2015

It is a very exciting time in Yosemite National Park.

With the completion in the last several years of the Restoration of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias Final Environmental Impact Statement (Final Mariposa Grove Restoration Plan/EIS), the Merced Wild and Scenic River Final Comprehensive Management Plan and EIS (Final Merced River Plan/EIS) and the Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River Final Comprehensive Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (Final Tuolumne River Plan/EIS), we have our work cut out for us. Implementation of these plans is now in full swing and we will be filling a number of positions in the coming year to help fulfill our goals outlined in these plans.

IMG_0350

© Kevin Schwartz

The mission of Resources Management and Science Division (RMS) is to protect the future of Yosemite's natural and cultural heritage through science, scholarship, and informed stewardship. We have a stellar and talented group at Yosemite, in RMS, and in the Branch of Vegetation and Ecological Restoration (VER).

In the previous year alone, RMS has accomplished an enormous amount.

A few highlights from 2015:

Reintroduced the Sierra Nevada Big Horn Sheep,

Reintroduced the Sierra Nevada Yellow-legged Frog,

Reduced bear incidents by 95% and property damage by 99%,

Discovered 699 populations of 25 special status plant species just in burn areas,

Treated invasive plant species in over 228 gross infested acres,

Managed most invasive plant populations above 7,000 feet,

Restored and removed encroaching confers and informal trails from 84.7 acres of meadows,

Restored 722 wilderness campsites,

We had 2760 volunteers providing over 18657.75 hours of support to the Vegetation and Ecological Restoration Branch alone.

MollyPlantingKids3

Beginning this Thursday, December 3, 2015, the Branch of Vegetation and Ecological Restoration will be opening our hiring season.

(Please, see the attached Job Announcement for the first listing of the season.)

We are looking for qualified people who are passionate, compassionate, positive, respectful, open, inclusive, diverse, and hardworking team players. We are looking for people who can think outside of the box, who bring to the job knowledge and experience, but who are also open to learning, new opportunities, and new experiences.

There are NEW IMPORTANT CONDITIONS this year for hiring:

Due to the heavy work load and limited staff in human resources, many job announcements will only be open to receive applications from the first 100 applicants. The job announcement will remain open until either the quota of 100, or the closing date, is reached. At that point, the announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. (EST) on that day.

You must create an Account and submit the necessary documentation through:

https://www.usajobs.gov/

VER will be filling the following positions in the coming year:

On December 3-GS-06/07 Term Biological Science Technician (see attached)

·         SCA Volunteers (10+)

·         GS-04/05/06/07 Seasonal Biological Science Technicians (up to 8)

·         WG-05 Seasonal Restoration Workers (up to 16)

·         WL-05 Seasonal Restoration Work Leaders (up to 4)

·         GS-0401/1301-07/09 TERM Interdisciplinary Natural Resource Managers (up to 3)

·         GS-0408-09/11 TERM Ecologist (1)

These positions will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of vegetation and ecological restoration actions for various park projects including the Wilderness Restoration program as well as the Mariposa Grove Restoration Plan, Merced River Management Plan, and Tuolumne River Management Plan. The workload far exceeds the capacity of the current vegetation and restoration staff, and it is anticipated that these projects will continue for at least 4 years, and likely longer. These positions will support critical vegetation and ecological restoration efforts that will preserve and protect critical park habitat.

IMG_6691

KEY REQUIREMENTS

U.S. Citizenship Required.

Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.

Travel and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.

You are responsible for reading the job announcements, and complying with all application requirements. Failure to do so may cause you to lose consideration for this position.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and continue to support workforce diversity. Our workforce continues to work toward creating an environment where workforce diversity is understood, valued and embraced, where there is an absence of bias, and where the mission is achieved through collaboration and teamwork.

Remember, we cannot accept applications or application materials by email or mail, they must all be submitted in a timely manner through the USAJOBS website.

We look forward to seeing your applications!

Sincerely,

Kevin Schwartz

Kevin Schwartz, PhD

Branch Chief, Vegetation and Ecological Restoration

Division of Resources Management and Science

Yosemite National Park
P.O. Box 700
El Portal, CA 95318

Marti and Jonah