J I like it.  Good info.

Best,

Angie

From: calweedtalk@simplelists.com [mailto:calweedtalk@simplelists.com] On Behalf Of Thiel, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:31 AM
To: calweedtalk@simplelists.com
Subject: Re: CalWeedTalk Turkey management?

Hi Miriam,,

We have lots of wild turkeys in the gateway community to Sequoia NP (Three Rivers), so I asked a former coworker who now operates an organic farm and and a variety of sustainably raised livestock in Three Rivers. Here is his tongue-in-cheek answer, but also it contains one bit of information that may or may not be a reasonable option in your land area, or might trigger some other thoughts. When I forwarded your question to him, he responded:

Use a 12ga shotgun with turkey choke. Dress, brine 12 hours and put in the smoker 8-12 hours. Darn good. People are always looking for places to turkey hunt, and you can actually legally take one in season with a pellet gun so it can be legal and safe to hunt in more densely populated areas.

Just a shot in the dark (no pun intended), but thought I'd offer it anyway.

Good luck!

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Miriam Sachs Martin <landmgr@pvranch.org> wrote:

Not exactly a weed because it’s fauna, but does anyone manage non-native wild turkeys?

I hear a lot of folks complain about them and would love to talk to anyone who has a management protocol.

Thanks in advance

Miriam

Miriam Sachs Martín

Land Manager

Portola Valley Ranch

California Invasive Plant Council, www.cal-ipc.org

Rich Thiel

Biological Technician (Supervisor)

Branch of Forestry and Vegetation Management

Division of Resources Management and Science

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP, CA

(559) 565-4476

California Invasive Plant Council, www.cal-ipc.org