From: Peter <peter.ross1@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 19:19
Subject: MapRun Changes

All

We have had a variety of MapRun events over the last couple of years and it has become an effort for App Users to find the event they want amongst the jumble of folders and files.

I have changed the MapRun file structure order to make it easier for them. Having found UK>Manchester on the App the User will see just five folders labelled GMOA, NSL, CSS, Navvies and Bespoke.

The GMOA folder contains the MapRun courses currently available through the GMOA. The NSL folder will be used for future events. Similarly the CSS folder is there to hold the forthcoming Countryside Score events.

At the same time MapRun have released a new App called MapRunF. It offers the Planner a number of opportunities that an Orienteering purist may find controversial. In particular the Planner can decide whether or not to give the App User the option to see their location and also the option to use any control on a Score course as the Start/Finish.

The Navvies folder will contain events specifically for the MapRunF App. For example, the three recent BOF webinars on Routegadget, MapRun and OOMap demonstrated the attraction of Postbox Score challenges for the runner but also the Planner in that they are easily created for MapRunF. The Navvies folder contains example of these. Please try one.

There are other interesting avenues to explore with MapRunF. Navvies will contain an event using an Altrincham map drawn in 1899 and also an event for mountain bikers.

All the above changes are visible through both the MapRun and MapRunF Apps.

In terms of external advertising the GMOA have a website which promotes their MapRun events and, as you know, MDOC advertise their NSL and CSS events via emails and the MDOC website. There is no reason for this to change.

However, the Navigational challenges to be found in the Navvies folder will be advertised through a website that Ian Watson and I have built. We hope that they prove popular to orienteers and non-orienteers alike.

It's very much a job in progress but here is the link to it. navvies.duckdns.org/MapRun

Finally, the MapRunF App makes creating a variety of challenges easier than ever. The Bespoke folder is a space to hold the work of budding Planners or those who just want to experiment. Anyone for GPS Art?

Cheers

Peter