My impression of Lisa Richmond and the economists she quotes is that
they are rutting in the tracks of the unsigned and discredited Economic
Consulting Services Inc analysis published in 1989 by the ARL Serials
Prices Project. It is clearly one more piece of propaganda meant to justify
university mismanagement by shamelessly shifting the blame for the
decline of once-proud library resources.

Nowhere do they credit commercial publishers for starting journals later taken
over and often mismanaged into the red by scholarly associations. Nowhere
do they acknowledge the vision and risks (that would make nonprofit managers
cringe) assumed by the commercial sector. Nowhere do they recognize that
a wide variation in prices
should be expected for service products that vary
in content and format.

More important, they ignore the greater cause for concern: the imbalance between
the growth of library funds and the exponentially rising output of academic R&D. This
was first analyzed by David J. Brown in ELECTRONIC PUBLISHING AND LIBRARIES
(Bowker-Saur, 1996). My further analyses showed how universities
added to their
profits while they
trimmed library spending.

Universities have "profits?" If you doubt me, subtract university expenditures
from income as published in the CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION and
DIGEST OF EDUCATION STATISTICS. You will find some surpluses exceed
twenty per cent of revenue and some much more than any commercial publisher
could report. Even public universities show growing surpluses.

Best wishes,

Albert Henderson, "Growth of printed literature in the 20th century," and "Journals
and the growth of serious/scholarly/scientific journals," in SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING
(Wiley, 2002): 1-24; 133-162..