From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Sutton, Sarah
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:40 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] cost per use for individual journals

Does anyone have a formula for deciding their maximum acceptable cost per use of a journal? What I’m really wondering, is how much is too much? It’s easy to justify cancelling print when the cost per use of a print journal is, say, $250 per use. But what about a journal that costs $20.47, cancel it or not?

Clearly there are many other criteria that play into such a decision (e.g. shelf space, curriculum support, accreditation requirements, etc.).  I’m just wondering how (if) the collective wisdom of this list use cost per use data.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Sutton

Serials / Electronic Resources Librarian

Mary & Jeff Bell Library

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

6300 Ocean Drive

Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5702