I second the recommendation.  I have a personal subscription to New Scientist, and while it is a little pricier, I think around $100, it is great for a weekly read.

There is a an aggregator of blogs that cover peer-reviewed science publications, I think mostly written by academics, but often given popular treatment, at http://researchblogging.org/.  I haven't vetted this set of blogs, but it might be worth a link, if a free electronic resource would do the trick.  This is what they say about themselves:  This is the news blog for ResearchBlogging.org, which strives to identify serious academic blog posts about peer-reviewed research with an aggregation site where others can look to find the best academic blogging on the Net.

Nat Gustafson-Sundell

Librarian, Electronic Resources and Collection Analysis Department

Northwestern University Library

1970 Campus Drive Evanston, IL 60208-2300

phone: 847-467-1090

email: n-gustafson-sundell@northwestern.edu