We quit checking in the issues that came with online subscriptions a 4 years ago. Instead, we had a volunteer organize them and offered them on BackMed a couple times a year.

The main impact it's had is more space on the shelves. We still check in titles we order in print only but nothing else, which has considerably decreased collection growth.

There was an unforseen impact with two titles that had huge price increases for online - we cancelled the online and kept the print (which started getting used again) but ended up with a gap in our collection. That is two titles out of 30.

In general we found ditching print has been beneficial, especially for titles we KNOW are going to remain as online subscriptions.

Good luck to you!

Janice Pividor
Health Sciences Library
Rm. ELL-306, Victoria Hospital
London Health Sciences Centre
London, ON N6A 5W9

phone: 519-685-8500 x52042
fax: 519-685-8097
email:
janice.pividor@lhsc.on.ca

Try a Librarian-Mediated Literature Search - it's fast, professional and free!

>>> On 2009/10/02 at 11:15 AM, in message <7D420073CDF64FB7A8BE2E2C44601EA5@catalog>, Mary Jane Crouse <mjcrouse@STOWELIBRARY.ORG> wrote:
Good morning, not to sound rude, but why spend good money on 41 titles that
are not being utilized?  If someone requested an article from one of those
unused print titles, would you not be able to locate the article elsewhere?
The $$ you save in cancelling those subscriptions could probably help
prevent some staff cuts.

Good Luck!

MJ Crouse
Stowe Free Library