From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Kruse
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:24 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] 866 Holdings statement

Being relatively new to constructing 866 holdings statements, a co-worker and I question the syntax of the following statement for scattered holdings of sales catalogs identified only by date.

866  5  1     1976: Feb. 11, May 27, June 23, Sept. 8, 22, Oct. 23, 1977: March 16, 23, Nov. 18, 21, Dec. 2, 1985: Nov. 16-19

The months and days follow the year: and that seems clear. What we find to be very confusing, if not downright unintelligible are the commas following the last date held in a given year, followed by the next year:

e.g. Oct. 23, 1977: appears to be Oct. 23, 1977 but in fact, Oct. 23 belongs to 1976 and the 1977: begins the holdings March 16, etc.

Is there another way to separate a break in holdings other than the comma? Or are we on the wrong track entirely in the construction of this holdings statement?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Kruse

N.E.H. Head of Technical Services