I agree that online access can be hassle to manage with lapses and platform issues here and there. But I want to point out that, generally, our online journal content is available to users 24/7 from wherever they have internet access.  Our print journal content is available to them only when the library is open, and they then still have to trek to the library and find the stuff they are looking for.

We have converted our subs to electronic-only for most of the major STM publishers and larger university presses as well and most of the time, the sites work fine.  Sure there is a hang up here and there.  But generally speaking, the sites seem to run as one would expect. There are exceptions, of course.

And in terms of pricing, big deal bundles and online databases have enabled us to provide access to over 60,000 unique journals. We subscribe to about 1,500 titles in print.

So for us, electronic has been very viable in terms of providing access to content at hugely efficient costs. But as Rick says, mileage will vary.

Buddy Pennington

Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian

University of Missouri - Kansas City

800 East 51st Street

Kansas City, MO  64110

Phone: 816-235-1548

Fax: 816-333-5584

Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.