RE: [SERIALST] Age Line no longer a free database

"Pennington, Buddy D." <penningtonb@umkc.edu>

Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:20:40 -0600

Our government documents librarian forwarded the following press release last September:

Press Release: AgeLine has been bought by EBSCO Publishing.  The free web version will be available on aarp.org until September 30, 2009.  For more information, visit the EBSCO Publishing Web site at: www.ebscohost.com, or contact: information@ebscohost.com.

EBSCO Publishing Acquires AgeLine®
~ Online Bibliographic Database Focused on Aging and Middle-aged and Older Adults Now Owned by EBSCO Publishing ~

IPSWICH, Mass. — July 28, 2009 — EBSCO Publishing (EBSCO) has purchased the AgeLine® database, formerly produced by AARP. AgeLine is the premier source for the literature of social gerontology and includes aging-related content from the health sciences, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy. AgeLine also includes information for professionals working in aging-related fields and for consumers.

EBSCO Publishing has provided AgeLine on its EBSCOhost platform for many years. EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins says purchasing AgeLine allows the company to continue to offer the database to its customers. “We are always looking for acquisitions that match our core content areas and supplement our strengths. AgeLine is a tremendous resource that fits well with our existing mix of products and we look forward to offering it to libraries and continuing to strengthen the content it provides.”

AgeLine is designed for researchers, professionals, students, and general consumers. The database addresses aging issues from individual, national, and global perspectives.

EBSCO provides a variety of additional databases related to health for professional and consumer use including:  Alt HealthWatch, Consumer Health Complete™, Health Source: Consumer Edition, Natural & Aternative Treatments and SPORTDiscus with Full Text.

About EBSCO Publishing
EBSCO Publishing is the world’s premier database aggregator, offering a suite of nearly 300 full-text and secondary research databases. Through a library of tens of thousands of full-text journals, magazines, books, monographs, reports and various other publication types from renowned publishers, EBSCO serves the content needs of all researchers (Academic, Medical, K-12, Public Library, Corporate, Government, etc.). The company’s product lines include proprietary databases such as Academic Search™, Business Source®, CINAHL®, DynaMed™, Literary Reference Center™, MasterFILE™, NoveList®, SocINDEX™ and SPORTDiscus™ as well as dozens of leading licensed databases such as ATLA Religion Database™, EconLit, INSPEC®, MEDLINE®, MLA International Bibliography, The Philosopher’s Index™, PsycARTICLES® and PsycINFO®. Databases are powered by EBSCOhost®, the most-used for-fee electronic resource in libraries around the world. For more information, visit the EBSCO Publishing Web site at: www.ebscohost.com, or contact: information@ebscohost.com.

EBSCO Publishing is a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., one of the largest privately held companies in the United States.

###

For more information, please contact:
Kathleen McEvoy
Public Relations Manager
(800) 653-2726 ext. 2594
kmcevoy@ebscohost.com

Buddy Pennington

Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian

University of Missouri - Kansas City

800 East 51st Street

Kansas City, MO  64110

Phone: 816-235-1548

Fax: 816-333-5584

Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.