From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Skwor, Jeanette
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:53 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Circulating Journals (Beth Wages)

We also allow faculty to checkout for three days (even Consumer Reports :-).  I am not aware of any problems, and would agree the practice is minimal.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001

From: Beth L S Wages (EWages@SF.EDU)
To: SERIALST
Subject: Circulating Journals
Date: 11/11/10 1:49 PM

At the request of several faculty members and students, my small academic library is considering changing our policy on circulating journals. Currently, we allow a 24-hour check-out with no renewals for faculty members only. I am researching what other institutions do with journals as we work to make our decision. Do you allow them to circulate and, if so, to whom? What is your loan period, and do you allow renewals? Do you have a lot of replacement costs from journals either not coming back or being damaged while out? Do you make use of protective coverings to help cut down on wear and tear? If you have bound journals, do you allow the entire books to circulate? Approximately how many journals are checked out at any one time?

Any information you can provide would be very helpful as we try to come to a decision.

Thank you!

Beth

Beth Shively Wages
Lee & Jim Vann Library