From: "Katy Ginanni" <ksginanni@EMAIL.WCU.EDU>
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:33:33 PM
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Periodicals inter-filed with Main Collection

Hi Nancy,

You do mean the bound periodicals, right?  And not the current, unbound issues?

At one of my previous libraries (a largish, state-supported comprehensive university), we did have bound periodicals interfiled in with the main collection, and we believed that they saw more use that way. But I don’t have any hard statistics, only anecdotal evidence. Plus, that was a looong time ago (late 80s into early 90s). I don’t know that they still do it that way.

At my last library (a small, private, liberal arts college; 2008-2010), the bound periodicals were separated, but we actually allowed them to circulate (though for much less time than books). And we believed that helped increase usage, too.

Hope you get plenty of responses!

Katy G.

Katy Ginanni, Collection Development Librarian

Hunter Library

Western Carolina University

176 Central Drive

Cullowhee, NC 28723

ksginanni@email.wcu.edu

828-227-3729 office

828-227-7380 fax

`Commit random acts of greeness everyday.