From: "Nancy Bennett" <nbennett@CARROLLU.EDU>
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:09:47 PM
Subject: [SERIALST] Periodicals inter-filed with Main Collection

Hello all.

I am still fairly new to Serials (6 months) and my director has come up with an idea of inter-filing the print periodicals with our main collection.  They would still be non-circulating, but he feels that inter-filing them will increase usage because they will be more browseable.

What are the philosophical thoughts on having this set-up?  Pros and Cons?  Has anyone made this change and what did you learn?  Did it increase usage of the periodicals?  What would you have done differently?  What timeline did you have?  (He wants this done this summer, which seems unrealistic at best).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  You can contact me off-list if you wish and I can compile a summary for the list.

Thanks so much!

Nancy

Nancy A. Bennett

Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian

Carroll University Library

100 N. East Ave.

Waukesha, WI  53186

262-650-4886