At the University of Kentucky, we opted to close out the print order and the print bibliographic record and open a new e-journal order attached to the online journal record. The print record and e-journal bibliographic record are linked to each other in our Voyager catalog and a user can move between them by clicking on the link. We did debate keeping everything on the print record regardless of format, but the view that we should make a clean break and have separate records prevailed. The bulk of our print subscriptions have shifted to electronic at this point. The shift was not always easy but in general we have found the staff and users appreciate having the separate records. It makes it clear generally what we have in each format. Our electronic holdings are maintained in our SFX linkserver rather than on the Voyager holdings record – Kate Seago, University of Kentucky Libraries.

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Storey, Joe L
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:32 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Switching print journals to online-only

We are beginning to switch more of our print journal titles to online and need to come up with coherent procedures for making the change.  I would be interested in hearing from others about how they do this.

Do you catalog the new format as a new title, or do you use the existing bibliographic record?  Do you close the order for the print title and create a new order for the online version, or do you adapt the print order record to reflect the new situation?

Thanks for your input.

Joe

Joe L. Storey

Assoc. Director of the Library &

  Head of Collections Support Services

St. Mary's College of Maryland

St. Mary's City, MD 20686

240-895-4260 (voice)   240-895-4492 (fax)