Hi Irena,

   We have Ex Libris ILS, and our system allows “dual linkage” for linking analytics (children) to series record (parent). To do this, there is a linker field (LKR)  in the bib record, where one can enter the item id number and appropriate enum/chron information of the item containing the analytic(s). So when one searches the analytic title, the OPAC will display its item status.

Hope this helps.

Selina Lin (University of Iowa)

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Irena Kavalek
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:03 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Linking Analytics in ILS

Our library barcodes serial issues and links them to the serial record.  We also analyze many special serial issues by creating separate bibliographic records  (analytics).  These analytics carry a "dummy" barcode and a "dummy" item status of Checked-In.  When an issue is checked-out, it is checked out against the serial record;  the analytic item record continues to show item status of  "Checked-in" because there can be only one "live" barcode per issue.  Our ILS, Horizon, does not allow linking a barcode to more than one item.

Here is the problem: in order to see the availability of a particular analytic located in the catalog, the user has to note the series number,  locate the serial record, and look for the item status for that particular issue number.

We would like to find a way to go directly from the analytic record to the serial record in order to see its item status.  Is there an ILS that allows this automatic link, either by clicking on the series statement in the analytic, by allowing a barcode to be linked to both, or some other way?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Irena Kavalek
Chief, Technical Services